Monday, June 30, 2008

Rescuing Kittens and a High Ropes Course!

Whew! What a day yesterday turned out to be! The day started out like any other day. We slept in, took the dog out, fed the cats. It was on my first big walk of the day with Luna that was interrupted by Matt standing out in front of our condo waving to us. Turns out he had been looking out of our office window, we're on the ground floor, when he saw two kittens huddled outside in front of our neighbor's car. He went out to check on them when they got scared and disappeared up in the car! Thats when he saw me walking by with Luna. I quickly tossed Luna into the house and ran to our neighbor's unit. Luckily we knew who's car it was. Our neighbor came out, popped the hood and was able to grab one kitten, which promptly bit me when it was handed over. Luna was so excited about her new playmate when I brought her inside. Don't worry, I rescued the kitten from Luna and put her in the bathroom.

The other kitten took awhile to come out. Matt baited him with cat food and treats while I tried to find a shelter to take them. I called PAWS first, but their phone system is just a never ending tree of voicemails. The recorded message did recommend that I call 911 so I did. An officer called me back and pretty much told me to do what I've been doing. He said Animal Control only works M-F 9am-5pm. How convienent. He did give me his work number in case I could find any where that would take them because his neighbor runs a small animal rescue group out of her home.

So after lunch I take Luna on another walk, well, our second attempt on her first one. We got as far as the road that runs parellel to our complex when Matt started shouting again for us. The second kitten had come out and was secure in our bathroom. When I went in to check on them, sure enough, he was snuggled on top of his sister, all wide eyed and dirty.

We ended up driving them down to PAWS. They had no problem taking them and assured us they would be well taken care of. We have high hopes for them since they are kittens and everyone seems to want kittens versus an adult cat (except us).

About an hour after we dropped the kittens off, we headed out to my co-workers 25th birthday party at Carousel Ranch. She had a western themed party. We had a nice time chatting with my other co-workers that were there. My co-worker also gave us a tour of the ranch and we got to meet her horse, Clayton. Unfortunately, there are no pics from this event because our digi cam broke and we've yet to replace it!

We could only stay for 45 minutes because we had to head over to Cottage Lake Park for our high ropes course event at the Northshore YMCA Staff Picnic. We did the Odyssey Course there with another co-workers two (grown) children. I did it even though I am afraid of heights! Again no pictures, but here is an old news article that has a picture of the course:

I was fine with everything until we got to the top and then I thought it wasn't such a good idea anymore! I did learn some things about myself though, mainly that I work better when I'm on my own and not in a team. Of course, I was too scared to let go of my own rope to hold on to another rope with anyone else!

After our exciting time at the picnic we came home and took a tip in our pool. Ahh, living the conod life. It has its benefits!

Next time I'll tell you all about Luna and I walking in Kirkland's 4th of July Parade!

No comments: